In this article, Phonefix round up the latest leaks and rumors concerning Apple’s next flagship iPhone launch, including the iPhone 14’s pricing, tech specs, release date, new features, design changes and more.
Table of Contents
- iPhone 14 family name: What will the iPhone 14 be called?
- iPhone 14 pro max price: How much will the iPhone 14 pro max cost?
- iPhone 14 Lineup release date: When will iPhone 14 come out?
- iPhone 14 Lineup design: New sizes, No notch, No Touch ID
- iPhone 14 colors: What color options will the iPhone 14 have?
- iPhone 14 Lineup tech specs: Camera, ProMotion Display, Battery and charging, A16 chip
- iPhone 14 Lightning: No iPhone USB Type-C port
- Foldable iPhone
Pro models will further differentiate themselves with a 48-megapixel rear camera and A16 processor.
iPhone 14 family name: What will the iPhone 14 be called?We're expecting four new iPhones in 6.1 and 6.7-inch sizes. Two of those iPhones will be standard, more affordable models called the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Max.
- iPhone 13 mini (with a 5.4-inch screen)
- iPhone 13 (6.1-inch screen)
- iPhone 13 Pro (6.1-inch screen)
- iPhone 13 Pro Max (6.7-inch screen)
- iPhone 14 (6.1-inch screen)
- iPhone 14 Max (6.7-inch screen)
- iPhone 14 Pro (6.1-inch screen)
- iPhone 14 Pro Max (6.7-inch screen)
iPhone 14 pro max price: How much will the iPhone 14 pro max cost?Kuo: iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max to get more expensive
It is also estimated that the Pro models, which cost more, will be big sellers this year, which raises the ASP. Kuo also predicts that the iPhone 14 Max, or whatever it ultimately ends up being called, will be priced at under $900 USD.
While the standard iPhone 14 will reportedly begin at the same $799 price as the iPhone 13, the other devices in the family could be in for a $100 price rise. That includes the two iPhone 14 Pro models.
That would leave the iPhone 14 Pro costing $1099, and the iPhone 14 Pro Max with a price tag of $1199. Remember, these are starting prices. If you want more storage, you'll need to dig a little deeper into your pockets.
Apple is reportedly still considering the price hike, especially everywhere outside of the US. Provided it does happen, Kuo’s prediction comes to fruition, and then the prices of Apple's 2022 lineup could look like this:
- iPhone 14 – $799
- iPhone 14 Max: $899
- iPhone 14 Pro: $1099
- iPhone 14 Pro Max: $1199
- iPhone 13 mini: $699/£679
- iPhone 13: $799/£779
- iPhone 13 Pro: $999/£949
- iPhone 13 Pro Max: $1,099/£1,049
For the rest of the models, we don't expect a colossal spike in prices, and again, if we do see such a price hike, though, it would likely hit the Pro models the most.
iPhone 14 release date: When will the iPhone 14 launch?We expect the iPhone 14 to be announced in mid-September 2022. Preorders will likely begin the Friday of the announcement week, with availability a week later.
Here’s when the last few generations arrived:
- iPhone 13: September 24, 2021
- iPhone 12: October 23, 2020
- iPhone 11: September 20, 2019
- iPhone XS: September 21, 2018
iPhone 14 design: Will the iPhone 14 have a new design?Here are the latest rumors concerning the iPhone 14’s external appearance and physical chassis.A bigger camera bump, and slightly thicker body
1. New sizes: Goodbye mini, hello MaxAll the signs suggest that the 5.4-inch iPhone mini line is going to be discontinued: Ming-Chi Kuo, for example, has predicted that Apple will kill off the mini to introduce the Max in 2022.
What that means in practice is that we’ll still get four models, but instead of these being split into one small, two medium and one large, it will be two medium and two large.
2. No notch: Meet the “hole + pill” camera cutoutRather than a simply hole-punch cutout used by many Android phones, Apple will use a combination of the hole punch cutout and a pill-shaped cutout.
Here’s the technology currently located in the iPhone’s notch:
- Infrared camera
- Flood illuminator
- Proximity sensor
- Ambient light sensor
- Front camera
- Dot projector
3. No Touch IDTouch ID is not expected to be an iPhone 14 feature this year, while there were early rumors that Apple would introduce the touchscreen ID feature on the iPhone 14.
According to reports, Apple has suspended development of in-display Touch ID sensors. While this patent provides some hope of a Touch ID future, the bulk of the evidence is still against it.
Recent reports from Ming-Chi Kuo suggest that Apple has been forced to delay the under-display Touch ID until 2023.
iPhone 14 colors: What color options will the iPhone 14 have?
iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Max
|iPhone 13 mini and iPhone 13||iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Max|
iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
|iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max||iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max|
iPhone 14 tech specs: What features will the iPhone 14 have?One of the tech community’s favorite games is working out what improvements and innovations Apple will come up with each year for its new iPhones.
Apple iPhone 14 CameraAs per famed Apple insider Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple is planning a massive camera upgrade for the iPhone 14 family.
Apple iPhone 14 DisplaySpeaking of displays, the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max are expected to come with 6.1" and 6.7" ProMotion displays with variable refresh rate.
Yes, we currently expect that only the Pro models will feature screens with a 120Hz refresh rate, whereas the more affordable non-Pro versions will merely come with your standard 60Hz OLED displays.
Here's what the iPhone 14 series' displays will be in terms of size and features:
- 6.1" iPhone 14 with 60Hz 'slim' notch display
- 6.7" iPhone 14 Max with 60HZ 'slim' notch display
- 6.12" iPhone 14 Pro with 120Hz i-shaped punch-hole display, Always-on Display
- 6.69" iPhone 14 Pro Max with 120Hz i-shaped punch-hole display, Always-on Display
Apple iPhone 14 Battery and chargingThe latest rumors about the iPhone 14 battery sizes are in, and it seems that batteries are growing all across the board, with the exception of the iPhone 14 Pro Max, which will be getting a slightly smaller battery in comparison with its direct predecessor.
As mentioned, the iPhone 14 Pro Max could be coming our way with a 4,323mAh battery, some 30mAh less than what we had in the iPhone 13 Pro Max.
Finally, the all-new iPhone 14 Max is expected to come with a 4,325mAh battery, technically the largest among the bunch and also the largest battery ever fitted on an iPhone.
Apple iPhone 14 Lightning port. No USB Type-CApple is expected to switch to USB-C in 2023. But the iPhone 14 coming this year will still use Lightning. The port-less iPhone is rumored to be something Apple is still testing, but it’s several years away at this point.
Currently, Apple’s chip partner TSMC is expected to use an enhanced 5nm manufacturing process for the chip in the iPhone 14, likely referred to as the A16.
While the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Max will retain the same A15 chip inside the current iPhone 13 lineup.
The A16 chip inside the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max will be manufactured with the same 5-nanometer process as the A15, which is also the same as the A14.
This limits the year-over-year performance improvements, but it doesn’t mean we won’t see any improvements.